Sunday, May 15, 2016

Week 7: Neuroscience + Art

In this week's lecture Professor Vesna discussed how neuroscience and art have worked together to play an important role in peoples' lives. One topic that I found to be interesting was the idea of the boundaries between the conscious and unconscious mind when we are dreaming. Vesna stated that we only remember about 5% of our dreams, so it would interesting to find out where the other 95% goes.

Another interesting topic is the idea of how drugs and herbs have been created to alter our neurochemicals in order to affect our moods and actions. One of these drugs, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD), is widely used among teenagers and young adults as a drug that alters their brain in a way that allows them to see the world in a different light. This hallucinogenic was created by Albert Hofmann in his laboratory and was used to see the unimaginable. LSD targets parts of the brain that regulate arousal and used to be used as a way to cure alcoholism. Hofmann took a very large dose for his first time using LSD and believed to see demons and witches. LSD has also been used as mechanism to

Overall, neuroscience and art are very interesting when put together into one lecture. The brain is very powerful and this lecture proved that even more.
Brain Scan: Normal (left), On LSD (right)


LSD Artwork






References:
Carey, Benedict. "LSD, Reconsidered for Therapy." The New York Times. The New York Times, 2014. Web. 16 May 2016. 
 
Devlin, Hannah. "Psychedelic Drugs like LSD Could Be Used to Treat Depression, Study Suggests." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 2015. Web. 16 May 2016.
 

Vesna, Victoria. " Neuroscience-pt1.mov." YouTube. YouTube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 15 May.
Vesna, Victoria. " Neuroscience-pt2.mov." YouTube. YouTube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 15 May. 2

Vesna, Victoria. " Neuroscience pt3." YouTube. YouTube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 15 May.

1 comment:

  1. Luke,

    Your comments on how drugs can affect us were very interesting to me. I think it is very interesting how something can alter the chemicals in our bodies and make us experience different things. LSD, one of the main drugs that can have these affects, is something I did not know much about before this week, so it was kind of cool to learn about.

    ReplyDelete