Thursday, June 2, 2016

Event 2: Getty Museum

For my second event, I went to the Getty Museum for the first time since beginning classes at UCLA three years ago. I was amazed by the architecture and artwork because it was unique and unlike anything I had ever seen before. The view of LA was just a bonus compared to all of the beauty around the property. I visited a number of exhibits but the two that stuck out most to me were the photography and impressionist painting exhibits. In the painting exhibit, I was able to look at a wide range of paintings from the 1800s' and the photography exhibit mainly contain black and white pictures from Robert Mapplethorpe.


Proof that I was there



There were a few paintings that particularly caught my interest. One of those paintings was Edvard Munch's Starry Night. The painting depicts a lake where Munch was known to spend time at during his summer nights. I liked the use of his faint colors and simplicity in the painting. His soft lines on the textured canvas helped me understand who he was as a painter. In addition to Munch's work, I also enjoyed Sunrise by Claude Monet. Monet painted the setting of the French harbor, Le Havre in a foggy, early morning. I like that he mostly used shades of blue but was still able to create a vivid image of what the harbor looked like.



Starry Night
Sunrise



















The last exhibit that stuck out to me was Robert Mapplethorpe's photography exhibit. His black and white photos created a different image than they would have with color. My favorite photograph was Waves because it created a calm mood and I liked that it was in black and white because most photos of the ocean are shown in vivid colors. Overall I would definitely recommend that others go visit the Getty because it is very close to school and has a lot to offer.

Waves


http://www.getty.edu/museum/





 

No comments:

Post a Comment